Sunday 22 April 2012

My favourite baking books

I love my recipe books as much as I love baking and cooking, such a source of learning and inspiration. I thought I would share a few of my favourites with you. Most recipes I use need tweaking as rarely recipes I want to bake are gluten, dairy and sugar free, but that is all are of the experience :)

Seriously Good Gluten-Free Baking by Phil Vickery

This is one of the book I use the most, its pretty easy to substitute the dairy and sugar. These recipes are full of amazing flavours with consistent textures, easy to trust even when its an untried recipe for you. A essential for my book shelf.

Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar & Vegan Cupcakes Take Over The World
, by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero.

Lots of yummy unusual recipes, especially the cookies. Substituting the flours can often take a bit of practice and tweaking but results are always tasty. The cupcake book does contain a couple of gluten free recipes. These book taught me a lot about the variety of non-dairy ingredients can be used and techniques to use to ensure you have consistent results.

Hummingbird Bakery Cookbook & Bake Days by Tarek Malouf.

These books are great for flavour and combination inspiration. I find that texture and consistency are always great, probably more experimenting and practice required for me with these recipes. The bakeries themselves usually have one flavour of gluten free cupcake, but no gluten free recipes in the books, as far as I have seen.

My favourite cookie recipe that I am always adapting comes from River Cottage Everyday by Hugh Fearnley-Whittingstall.

Books that are quite new to my shelf and I haven't used yet, but looking foward to...
 
Cake Angels by Julia Thomas - Gluten and Diary Free recipes!

Blackbird Bakery
by Karen Morgan - gluten free recipes

I use Jamie Oliver books a lot for main meals, I haven't done any of his desserts as yet, but I definitely should investigate these.

Obviously I use the internet a lot to find recipes, some great sites are:
BBC Food 

Happy reading & baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment