Tuesday 3 April 2012

Gluten Free Baking Workshop

Last week I went to a gluten free baking workshop at Leiths School of Food & Wine, focusing on cakes and biscuits.

Adriana Rabinovich ran the course, a lovely and modest lady and extremely knowledgeable gluten free baker and a great teacher.

We had a busy day covering battenberg, lemon bars, chocolate cupcakes & chocolate biscotti with pistachio and fig. These recipes can also be milk free and refined sugar free!

Andriana demonstrated each technique - now I know how to cream butter and sugar properly!

Everyone took notes, even photos, but we also got booklets with the recipes in.

Andriana also revealed a few tips on how to convert normal recipes into gluten free ones, its not always as simple as changing flours using the same quantities.
 

I thought about doing a step by step of what we did, but I don't think I would be able to do it justice.

The Leiths Kitchen was a nice environment, there is enough room for 16, there was 11 in my class, which was a good number, 16 may feel a little busy.

You bake in pairs, which for introverts like me is a quite scary, but it was all good in the end.

The only downside was the dodgy ovens, which meant that everything took twice as long to bake & temperature variations meant that some of the bakes were crumbly inconsistency and I had to finish baking the biscotti at home.

I really hope that Leiths sort this out soon, ovens are obviously an essential component in a cookery school.

Despite this, the day was absolutely worth it, to meet and learn from Andriana. I definitely recommend her as a teacher, she doesn't just teach at Leiths, if you want to improve your gluten free cooking, check out her blog to see when and where Andriana's workshops take place.


I look forward to practicing these cakes and biscuits, the lemon bars are particularly amazing. I am also keen to try Andriana's pizza base recipe from one of her book Gluten Free for Kids. I count myself as a big kid!

No comments:

Post a Comment