Wednesday 22 May 2013

Gluten Free Breakfast Series Recipe No.6 Juicing


I often have a homemade juice for breakfast, 2-3 times a week in general, sometimes I have a smoothie. Three days a month, I detox which is only drinking specific fruit and vegetable juices for three days.
I have completely bought into the ‘juicing is for life’ concept, which the Juice Master preaches. 

It seems to me to be a good way to get a lot of goodness in one glass and it’s easy to digest. It’s one of those win-win situations.

I have read and used a few of Jason Vale’s (the self-proclaimed Juice Master) books. The first book I used prescribed a 7 day detox every 3 months. It’s a thorough detox but takes a lot of organising and will-power.

If you doing the detox thing ‘properly’ then you a meant to ‘Turbo-charge your life’. These days I use some ‘turbo charge recipes’, but I don't usually do the 14 day programme. 

My latest is the 3 day detox from another book, 'Keeping it simple'. Which is much more manageable. Detoxing definitely helps with any digestion problems but it hasn’t stopped the coffee and chocolate cravings, as other people have claimed.

When I’m retoxing I like to make this juice for breakfast:
  • Apple
  • Pear
  • Broccoli
  • Spinach
  • Ginger
  • Courgette

I have talked about smoothies before. My tastes have evolved since then. At one point I did get into the habit of putting peanut butter in my smoothies for a while, which is excellent (peanut butter is excellent in everything). The 3 day detox programme has a really simple, easy to make and tasty smoothie of:
  • A handful of frozen blackberries
  • A handful of frozen blueberries
  • 200ml of plain yoghurt (bio active, ideally)
  • A little pineapple juice (optional and should be freshly juiced, not required but does add some sweetness)

This is a much need smoothie in the middle of a juice detox. If detoxing sounds too much, a couple of breakfasts a week is doable and is good for those trying to create some kind of healthy balance. 

No comments:

Post a Comment