Friday 25 January 2013

Homemade chocolate spread

I have been experimenting with making my own chocolate from scratch, because I love it and wish it was healthier to it, so I could eat more of it.

So I looked up some recipes, thanks Google, and recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie (healthy desert blog) looked the most promising.

Currently hoping to set - I have some R2D2 chocolate in the fridge, which will go into the freezer once it starts to become a bit more solid.

This is using 1/4 cup cocoa powder, 1/4 cup coconut oil, 1 tbsp agave. Fingers crossed this works! I think it going to need some tweaking to be sweeter but that's all part of the fun.

R2D2, how else would you have your chocolate?
The first time I tried this I misread the recipe as I often do, thinking I could treble or quadruple the agave to make it sweet. And indeed you and it tastes lovely.

But, it doesn't set to be solid chocolate bars. What it does make is amazing chocolate spread!

To make the spread I used:

1/4 cup of cocoa powder, 2 tablespoons unrefined coconut oil (melted) and 1/4 cup of agave.

Once the coconut oil is melted add the cocoa and agave and stir until everything is well mixed and pour into a your mold.

This spread is good on toast, mixed into plain (soya) yoghurt, or straight out of the tub - that's the way I like it best.

So the chocolate making experiment goes on, will keep you posted :)

No comments:

Post a Comment