Saturday 27 August 2011

A word on gluten free porridge oats

I had always assumed that oats weren't gluten free and I would have to avoid them, but its turns out pure wholegrain oats are gluten free! Oat products that aren't gluten free have been contaminated by other gluten grains. For example, if the oats aren't grown separate but with other grains or if they aren't milled separately to other grains. This is great stuff to know and I helpfully found this info on the back of a packet of Nairn's gluten free porridge oats, I had wondered when I first seen gluten free porridge oats I wondered if they were genetically modified :)

The good news is that the number of companies producing gluten free oats is increasing, I have found that both Tesco's and Sainsbury's have their own brands both sold in the free-form sections. Nairn's gluten free porridge oats which can be found in health food shops.

So I have been taking advantage and making lots of delicious things with oats - expect several oat filled recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment